When I had my first doctor's appointment I was asked to participate in a study. Many of you have probably heard of it but for those who haven't I will explain the purpose of the study. Researchers are taking ultra-sound pictures from healthy pregnancies and comparing them with those of Mom's who have miscarried. They are hoping to be able to detect something in the pictures that would indicate problems early on. If they can determine who is going to miscarry, then they can hopefully figure out how to start preventing miscarriages. I thought it was a worthy cause and participating gives you a lot of perks! You get 3 extra free ultra-sounds as well as $100.00 and your visits are all covered.
We had our first ultra sound around 8 weeks and then were able to have a second one at almost 12 weeks. It was really neat to be able to throw an extra ultra-sound in there. Jake and I couldn't believe how much the baby had changed in just 3 weeks! On the first visit the baby looked just like a little kidney bean. They pointed out to us where the head was and there were little nubs where the feet and arms would be.
Three weeks later we saw the baby come up on the screen and we were shocked! It was so fun to see how much the baby had developed in such a short amount of time. The baby had it's leg straight up in the air and kept waving it's foot at us. This time we could see the whole profile! The lady doing the ultra- sound was trying to take some measurements so she was wanting the baby to move around a little. She poked at my belly and the baby would wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, and then freeze. It kept doing that over and over. I loved it!
2nd ultra-sound:
The day after ultra-sound #2 they asked if I would do a sleep thing for the study. I had to hook up to a bunch of wires, sleep and then they gave me $50.00. Not bad right?

No comments:
Post a Comment